Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Ice Cream and Melt Downs




This is my sweet girl Emma, doing what she loves to do best; eating ice cream.  I found this picture from a few months ago and thought it was quite appropriate for today's blog.  See, today Emma had a major melt down, kind of like what happens to ice cream when it's been in the sun too long...


I had planned out our whole afternoon together; it was going to be a great time...  First, I would take her to her favorite lunch spot, then I would treat her to her favorite treat (ice cream, of course!) Then we would finish the afternoon off with a trip to the playground.  Sounded like a full proof plan to me; an afternoon of bliss, right?  Well, not so much.


So, we had our lunch, which went off without a hitch.  She was happy and laid back... the typical Emma.  She was all smiles and laughs.  Then I offered her ice cream!  We made our way to the counter, and I ordered a plain vanilla cone.  Emma was still all smiles in anticipation of her favorite treat!  We sat down to enjoy the ice cream, and that's when it all went wrong...  

I insisted on holding the ice cream in order to save the happy ice cream moment from becoming an unhappy, ice cream is now on the ground moment.  Emma did not agree with my rational, and proceeded to show me what a real melt down really looks like...  (I thought I knew, but Emma took it to an all new level). I will spare all the ugly details but needless to say, the five minute walk back to the car seemed like an eternity with Emma thrashing her body from side to side, and screaming at the top of her lungs for her ice cream cone.  Unfortunately we did not get to enjoy our ice cream nor did we get to go to the playground.  Emma was in complete melt down mode all the way home.  By the time we did get home, she was an exhausted, beautiful little mess.  Her eyes were swollen, her face was flushed, and her hair was wet from sweat and tears.  



Once inside the house, Emma immediately started crying again, but this time instead of flailing her arms and legs everywhere, she buried her head in my shoulder.  My heart melted and I knew she felt sorry for what had happened.  As I held her, I felt such an awesome peace and love.  I thanked God for the grace and love that He extends to us on a daily basis.  I felt privileged that I could extend that same grace, love and forgiveness to Emma.  Without God's peace, I would have probably pulled out most of my hair today.  I think of how many times I have behaved this way towards God; when I have insisted on having my own way only to run back to Him after falling on my face.  He never turns me away, and never condemns me for what I have done.  He just extends His arms out and loves me.  He is quick to forgive and slow to anger. Thank you Lord for your love, and for never giving up on us!  May we all extend this same grace to one another and never forget that in the end, it's how we loved.  That's all that matters.

Love bears all things, 
believes all things, hopes all things, 
endures all things.

1 Corinthians 13:7

1 comment:

  1. thank you for sharing that with us what a great illustration. God bless you

    ReplyDelete